Quantcast

Benefit

Benefit: Hoag Hospital Raises $850K at Christmas Carol Ball

More than 500 guests joined event chairs Tracy and Roger Kirwan at the St. Regis Resort, Monarch Beach last month to celebrate the Hoag Hospital Foundation’s 48th Annual Christmas Carol Ball. A tradition since 1966, the event raised $850,000 for Hoag to support a variety of needs...

Benefit: Laguna Playhouse Hosts ‘A Night at Cocoanut Grove’

Laguna Playhouse went back in time for its annual Gala last month, which pleased supporters so much that the gala brought in a record $196,500. Dubbed “A Night at the Cocoanut Grove,” the Big Band Gala was held at the Island Hotel in Fashion Island and chaired by Michelle...

Campus

Campus: Sage Hill Ceremony Blesses Science Center

Several hundred students, staff members, parents, school officials and supporters gathered on the campus at the top of the hill in Newport Coast on Monday to honor its history and celebrate its future. The event was part of a Sage Hill School Native American blessing ceremony...
Posted On 04 Apr 2014

Surfers Compete in Newport Harbor Classic

About 180 surfers of all ages hit the surf this weekend for the 15th Annual Newport Harbor High School Newport Surf Classic The weekend-long community event turned out bigger than organizers were expecting, with hundreds of spectators, first time surfers and experienced, local...
Posted On 04 Apr 2014

Students Learn History, Life Lessons from Veterans

A few hundred teenagers had lunch with about 100 veterans on Thursday. The luncheon was part of the Corona del Mar High School Living History program that pairs sophomore students with veterans from the Orange County Freedom Committee. “In our Living History program, our students...
Posted On 21 Mar 2014

Subscribe

Join the Local's List

Charity

Charity Spotlight: 11th Annual Visionary Women Caregivers Luncheon

Each year, the Visionary Women Circle of Alzheimer’s Orange County holds a Caregivers Luncheon to honor caregivers who display extraordinary compassion in caring for those touched by Alzheimer’s disease and related forms of dementia. Caregiver honorees are recognized for their...

Charity Spotlight: An Evening to Foster Awareness at Balboa Bay Resort

On Saturday evening, May 13, the Balboa Bay Club and Balboa Bay Resort hosted a gala reception in the great ballroom of the resort welcoming some 400 guests for an evening of inspiration related to the medical marvels of organ transplant. The hosted reception was sponsored by...

Green

Eco-Math Field Trip

Have you ever been to a City Council meeting?  You should go. There are different ways to communicate your point.  At City Council meetings, fear of the unknown often drives logic.  But then there are those that choose to communicate with facts and data, and that is what...

Green Year in Review

And, so, we end a year with an opportunity to look back. I am grateful to the Newport Beach Indy for dedicating space to Green Stories, the only newspaper I know of to consistently do so.  I hope that this column has allowed you to enjoy your cup of coffee and get you inspired...

Local Focus

Local Focus: Newport Couple Boxed In to Their Business

This is truly a “moving” story. Two young Concordia University students meet, fall in love, conceive a business based on the KISS principle (keep is simple), earn their Bachelor’s degrees in Marketing and Business Management, file for and get a DBA shortly after graduation,...

Local Focus: Newporters Donate $10 Million to Chapman University

Philanthropists Catherine and James Emmi of Corona del Mar have made a transformational gift to Chapman University to support the university’s significant expansion in the sciences. The exact amount of the gift is confidential, but it is in excess of $10 million. The donation was...

Local Focus: Newport Residents to be Honored on National Philanthropy Day

“The practice of giving money and time to help make life better for other people.” That’s how Webster’s dictionary defines the word “philanthropy.” For a local definition, you’d simply find two names listed: Victoria Collins and Natalie Cernius. These two community volunteers are...

On Faith

On Faith: Women of Vision’s 25th Anniversary Celebration

“As I look around this room, I see the faces of women who have quite literally changed the world and I am genuinely humbled in your presence,” said Reneé Stearns at the recent Women of Vision 25th Anniversary Celebration. “For a quarter of a century, in partnership with...

On Faith: Cancer with Compassion Support Group

Walking into the Cancer with Compassion Support Group with my friend Sheila, I didn’t know what to expect. I thought that a room filled with people with cancer struggles, some even fighting for their lives, might be uncomfortable. That’s not what I experienced. I experienced...

Senior Moments