In addition to being an author and chef, Susan Irby – who will be speaking and signing books at the Newport Beach Central Library on Tuesday – is the host of “The Bikini Lifestyle with Susan Irby, the Bikini Chef” on KFWB News Talk 980 in Los Angeles.
On her website Irby shares, “My first passion was always journalism. Cooking was something I enjoyed to relax, having learned cooking and nutrition essentials from my mom. Becoming The Bikini Chef just sort of happened to me as a result of living a healthy lifestyle and setting positive examples for others.”
Irby is the first to admit she loves flavorful and rich foods and was determined to find a way to enjoy the comfort foods while still being healthy. She believes that just because you eat healthy doesn’t mean it shouldn’t taste delicious.
All of her recipies in “Substitute Yourself Skinny” include nutritional information including the amount of calories in the “real” recipe has compared to her recipe with the substitutes.
- Instead of Teryaki Beef for 520 calories per serving try Teri-Yummy Beef which will set you back only 270 calories.
- The New-You England Clam Chowder calls for nonfat sour cream and non-fat milk which saves you more than 140 calories per serving.
- Flat Belly Eggs Benedict substitutes nonfat vanilla yogurt, non-fat sour cream and low-fat cottage cheese in place of traditional buttery hollandaise sauce.
- Bacon burgers and mushroom Swiss burgers? No problem. By using leaner meats such as turkey bacon, and low-fat cheese as well as whole-grain buns, the fat and calorie count is dramatically reduced.
At the library, Chef Irby will be sharing secrets for making food taste delicious without high calories. She’ll discuss how to use skinny substitutions in favorite recipes and how to boost your metabolism. And here’s the best part; Irby will be demonstrating how to make recipes from her “Substitute Yourself Skinny” cookbook and participants will have the opportunity to sample the food at the end of the program.
Bon apetit and bon bikini wearing!
- The Newport Beach Public Library presents Chef Susan Irby, author of “Substitute Yourself Skinny.”
- Tuesday, Sept. 21, 7-8:30pm
- Newport Beach Central Library – Friends Meeting Room
1000 Avocado Ave.
Newport Beach, CA 92660
- In addition to “Substitute Yourself Skinny,” Chef Irby will also have her newest book, “Boost Your Metabolism Cookbook: Fire up Your Diet for a Fit and Firm You,” available for sale and signing. Chef Irby will be donating 20 percent of the proceeds from her book sales to the library.
- Space is limited and reservations are required. A fee of $20 will be charged to cover the cost of food. For information and registration, call (949) 717-3800, Ext. 2 or visit www.newportbeachlibrary.org.