A Newport Beach man who surrendered to police after a seven-hour standoff Monday has been charged with raping, sexually assaulting and threatening to kill a young woman in his Corona del Mar home.
David Charles Wilson, 48, is charged with one felony count each of aggravated assault, criminal threats, forcible oral copulation, false imprisonment by violence, three felony counts each of forcible rape and sexual penetration by foreign object by force, and one misdemeanor count of resisting or obstructing an officer, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.
His arraignment will be continued on June 3. If convicted, he could serve a maximum sentence of 58 years in state prison. He is being held on $200,000 bail.
The 29-year-old female victim was invited to Wilson’s house after meeting him a few months earlier and speaking with him on the phone a few times, according to the DA’s office, which gave the following account:
She arrived at his home in the 4600 block of Camden Drive around 10 p.m. As soon as she entered the house Wilson allegedly choked her and threatened to kill her if she did not cooperate, according to the OCDA statement.
Wilson then allegedly raped the woman, whose name is not being released, and otherwise sexually abused her, then kept her inside the house against her will.
Earlier in the evening, the woman had told a friend where she was going. When the friend could not get in contact with the victim, she drove to Wilson’s house at about 3 a.m. and yelled her name outside the house. The victim was able to climb out a window and run to her friend’s car.
A neighbor heard yelling and called 911.
Newport Beach police Sgt. Steve Burdette said that officers were dispatched to the location upon receiving the call early Monday, and found the two females walking away from the residence. One of the women claimed she had been held against her will and raped by the man inside the house, he added.
When police arrived at the house Wilson had barricaded himself in and refused to come out or contact the police.
SWAT was called in and after almost seven hours, Wilson gave himself up peacefully.
Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Walker of the Sexual Assault Unit is prosecuting this case.