GUNS, GUNS AND MORE GUNS
* Regarding the fatal LAX shooting–there is now a lot of discussion on how to improve security. In spite of this tragedy the emergency police response was admirable. The shooter could have killed dozens or hundreds. It seems to me that the search for weapons should begin as soon as passengers enter the airport rather than after the baggage checks and several checks of tickets and driver’s licenses by airline employees and TSA. Although this might precipitate other consequences, at least the shooter(s) would be further from the airplanes, runways and hundreds of passengers waiting to board when and if shooting begins.
WHEN WILL WE EVER LEARN?
* Three days after the LAX shooting on Friday Nov.1, a lone shooter showed up at the Garden State Plaza Mall on Monday evening Nov.4. Do you think the incessant and numbing over-coverage of the LAX shooting by the media might have given a few sick persons some ideas? The Press and TV coverage folks always promise to use better judgment in the future but never seem to do so.
* In the recent outbreak of shootings by sickos, it is reported that many of them wear body armor. It’s roughly 2000 years since the height of the Roman Empire and we’re back to body armor.
I’ll TALK TO YOU IN RIO (MAYBE YES MAYBE NO)
* Jeffrey Scott Glueck, Skyfire CEO & Opera EVP, Operator Solutions made the cover of Connect-World magazine with his article entitled, “Are Brazil’s mobile networks ready for the World Cup (2014) and Summer Olympics (2016)?” Is mobile data growth the El Nino of mobile data? This may not seem overly important now but for those people in Newport Beach who plan to go to Brazil for the World Cup or Olympics the lack of mobile communication could be not only inconvenient but very dangerous. Yes, Jeffrey is my kid. Sort of a large acorn from a small tree. The entire article can be read online at connect-world.com.
THE MOON BELONGS TO EVERYONE
* As many of you know, it will take a very long time (hundreds to thousands of years) for all our low level and high level nuclear waste to decay. A friend of mine suggests sending it all to the moon where it can be gently landed without dispersal. Hollywood is currently considering a script for the movie. Appropriately they want to call it “Moonstruck 2.”
TO BE YOUNG
* Most of my friends have wives that are younger than themselves. When the wives have birthdays and are kidded about their advancing age their usual response is, “Well, I am still younger than you and always will be.” My wife also has another retort. Since she always eats breakfast (the most important meal of the day), and I rarely do, her comeback includes “I’ll always be one meal ahead of you!”