Quantcast

Benefit

Benefit: Laguna Playhouse Hosts ‘A Night at Cocoanut Grove’

Laguna Playhouse went back in time for its annual Gala last month, which pleased supporters so much that the gala brought in a record $196,500. Dubbed “A Night at the Cocoanut Grove,” the Big Band Gala was held at the Island Hotel in Fashion Island and chaired by Michelle...

Benefit: The Tradition Continues for Christmas at the Ritz

For 27 years, the Women of Chapman support group of Chapman University held its annual Christmas at the Ritz fundraiser luuncheon at the Ritz Restaurant in Fashion Island. Because The Ritz closed its doors earlier this year, Women of Chapman had to find a new venue for th...

Campus

Students Buzzing About History

A group of about 50 elementary and middle school students were buzzing about history at a Corona del Mar campus this week. The Los Angeles Regional Championship of the National History Bee was held Monday at Harbor Day School. It was great to see the kids thrive, said HDS history...
Posted On 06 Mar 2014

Campus: Teachers Learn About Volunteer Science Expeditions

The tables were turned this week at Harbor Day School as some of the teachers learned a thing or two about a volunteer opportunity to do some scientific research. About 25 staff members, teachers and parents learned about the Earthwatch Institute, an environmental nonprofit...
Posted On 27 Feb 2014

Campus: New Private High School Plans NB Campus

Newport Beach will be the home to another high school come Fall 2015. The faith-based, private, college preparatory school, Pacifica Christian High School, announced their plans to join the OC academic world last week. Pacifica Christian of Orange County will be partnering with...

Subscribe

Join the Local's List

Charity

Charity Spotlight: Guests Travel Out of This World for Saddleback Memorial Gala

Galaxies orbited down to earth and sparkled upon the guests of Saddleback Memorial Foundation’s Spring Gala 2017 on May 6 at Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point. More than 400 physicians, philanthropists and community supporters (many from Newport Beach) gathered in the ballroom,...

Charity Spotlight: Friendship Circle Holds Evening of Recognition

On Wednesday, May 10, Newport Beach-based Friendship Circle held its 11th annual Evening of Recognition at the Beckman Center in Irvine. The Friendship Circle’s mission is to address the challenges facing individuals with special needs by celebrating their uniqueness and...

Green

Going Green – With Camo – for 2011

Last year, I shared a laundry list of options for all to go green in the New Year. They were all good, but no one could do all of them, and I think I missed the most important: Simple is often better. So I sat down this year to come up with the one single thing I would recommend,...

Late Bloomers

I have a buddy. Actually, I am fortunate to have lots of buddies.  A buddy knows you, the good and the bad.  Buddies help you accentuate the positive and minimize the negative.  They inspire you, they protect you, they give pats on the back – not too far from kicks in the...

Local Focus

On Faith

On Faith: Seeking Justice at Grace Fellowship Church

“Injustice is what happens when someone uses their power to take from someone else the good things God intended them to have: their life, their liberty, their dignity or the fruit of their love or their labor.” Newport resident Lucie Moore said that this definition from the bo...

On Faith: Easter Church Services in Newport Beach

Christ Church by the Sea United Methodist, 1400 W. Balboa Blvd, Balboa. (949) 673-3805 / christbytheseanb.org. 4/5: Sunrise 6:30 a.m. at 14th St., 10 a.m. at church. Community Church, Congregational, 611 Heliotrope Ave., CdM. (949)-644-7400 / cdmucc.org. 4/5: Sunrise 6 a.m. at...

Senior Moments