Quantcast

Benefit

Benefit: Human Options Serious Fun Gala Raises $480K at Balboa Bay Resort

Human Options, an Orange County-based nonprofit dedicated to breaking the cycle of domestic violence, hosted their 2018 Serious Fun Gala on May 19 at the Balboa Bay Resort in Newport Beach. The event brought together more than 325 influential community leaders who helped raise...

Benefit: 44th Annual Candlelight Concert Sets New Record for Segerstrom Center

More than four decades ago, a group of arts supporters held an event to raise money to build a major performing arts venue in Orange County. The event was held in a vacant Kresge five-and-dime store that had been transformed into an elegant ballroom with the use of candles. Since...

Campus

NHHS Students, Staff Protest Rats on Campus

Newport Harbor High School students left their classrooms on April 27 to protest rats on campus. The rodent problem at the school has been spreading and increasing for more than a year, escalating within the last few months, students and staff reported. “This is actually...

Campus: CdM Student Kinsale Hueston Appointed a National Student Poet

St. Margaret’s Episcopal School senior Kinsale Hueston, 17, of Corona del Mar was appointed one of five National Student Poets during a ceremony held on Aug. 31 in the James Madison Memorial Building at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. The event featured a pinning...

Speak Up Newport Present Scholarship Awards

Speak Up Newport, a nonprofit citizens group in Newport Beach, presented its annual Scholarship Awards to five students from local high schools. The Speak Up Newport Foundation Scholarship Awards, previously known as the Dorothy Hardcastle Scholarship Awards, are awarded annually...

Subscribe

Join the Local's List

Charity

Charity Spotlight: Local Chefs Cook Up Donations for Charity

It’s always rewarding to see local chefs cooking for charity, which is why the inaugural Chef Masters benefiting Alzheimer’s Family Center – held at the Paséa Hotel & Spa in Huntington Beach on October 28 and attended by 375 guests – was such a success. More than 30...

Charity Spotlight: Segerstrom Center Announces 45th Annual Candlelight Concert Gala

Segerstrom Center for the Arts’ 45th Annual Candlelight Concert will be an evening-long feast for the senses while raising funds that will support the Center’s artistic, community engagement and education programs. Sandy Segerstrom Daniels and Jane Fujishige Yada are co-chairing...

Green

Going Green: Desalination Plant is Bad for the Region

By Garry Brown, Executive Director / Orange County Coastkeeper The California Coastal Commission will meet at Newport Beach City Hall November 13 – 15. On the agenda for Nov. 13 is a Coastal Development Permit application from Connecticut-based Poseidon Water. Their proposed...

Going Green: First Flush of Rainy Season Affects Coastal Water Quality

By Garry Brown, Executive Director / Orange County Coastkeeper  As summer weather has finally come to a close, it is time to start preparing for the wet season. The day after a rain storm is clear, crisp, and there is a sense of renewal in the air. All the streets appear clean,...

Local Focus

Local Focus: Pacific Club Hosts Ellis Island Medalists

On Wednesday, June 27, the Pacific Club in Newport Beach hosted a trio of Ellis Island Medal of Honor winners as part of the club’s Distinguished Speakers Series luncheons. The Ellis Island Medal of Honor recognizes the combined professional achievements and humanitarian work of...

45th Lido Boat Show Sails Into Town April 19-22

Imagine sitting on the deck of your own yacht bobbing on the water of Newport Harbor, cruising to Catalina aboard a swift sailboat, or fishing along the coast in your own trawler. Now imagine going to the 45th annual Lido Boat Show and having an up close and personal encounter...

Local Focus: Organ Donor, Recipient Share New Ambition

By Cassandra Reinhart | Special to the NB Indy Bruce Cook feels alive again. “I feel totally different and my whole appetite is different,” Cook said. “Things that I loved before I don’t even want to eat now.” Cook, of Newport Beach, received a kidney transplant from Laguna Beach...

On Faith

On Faith: A Day of Compassion at St. Mark Presbyterian Church

St. Mark Presbyterian Church invites the community to A Day for Contemplation and Compassion on Saturday, Aug. 5 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. According to St. Mark Elder Deborah Mayhew, the retreat day is designed to deepen one’s skills and capacities for compassionate living. “We...

On Faith: Teens Turn to Fristers

“We believe in the significance of families and we support families,” said Ali Woodard, founder president and CEO of Fristers. “Fristers is a non-profit that supports teen parents, the youngest and most vulnerable families in our communities. We are completely focused on helping...

Senior Moments

Senior Moments: Slow Moving Fitness for Seniors

This is one father who’s truly unhappy having put two kids through college. No, not my own children. My orthopedist’s. In a long life of body-risking sports, I’ve broken bones, worn out cartilage, sprained muscle, strained ligaments and have sported bruises whose various colors...

Senior Moments: Your Mind is Your Greatest Asset

By Felicia Wiseman | NB Indy I believe that simplicity is the highest form of truth, creativity and sophistication. Have you heard of the K.I.S.S. motto, “Keep it simple, stupid?” Positive thinking is more than just a tag line; it changes the way we behave. Positive thinking...