Benefit

Benefit: 44th Annual Candlelight Concert Sets New Record for Segerstrom Center

More than four decades ago, a group of arts supporters held an event to raise money to build a major performing arts venue in Orange County. The event was held in a vacant Kresge five-and-dime store that had been transformed into an elegant ballroom with the use of candles. Since...

Celebrity Tennis Event Benefits Puerto Rico

In a mix of sports, celebrities and philanthropy, actress Anne Heche co-sponsored “Palisades for Puerto Rico” at Palisades Tennis Club in Newport Beach on Dec. 10. The event featured Heche, who recently completed filming the NBC drama “The Brave,” as well as Ross Lynch, who is...

Campus

Campus: Newport Harbor High’s 2017 Hall of Fame

The Newport Harbor High School Alumni Association has added 15 names to the Hall of Fame this year. To celebrate the school’s legacy of excellence and inspire current students, the Alumni Association inducted 10 student Alumni and five Faculty members, who have excelled in their...

Campus: Mariners Christian School Holds 8th Grade Graduation

On Thursday, June 15, Mariners Christian School held its graduation ceremony for the Eighth Grade Graduating Class of 2017.  Eighth grade students, families, friends, and the entire MCS faculty and staff gathered in the beautiful sanctuary at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in...

Campus: Assistance League of Newport-Mesa Awards Student Scholarships

Assistance League of Newport-Mesa has a strong tradition of providing scholarships to deserving high school students who are about to graduate and continue on to college. The first college scholarship was awarded in 1945; seven decades later the tradition continues. Thirteen...

Subscribe

Join the Local's List

Charity

Charity Spotlight: Segerstrom Center Announces 45th Annual Candlelight Concert Gala

Segerstrom Center for the Arts’ 45th Annual Candlelight Concert will be an evening-long feast for the senses while raising funds that will support the Center’s artistic, community engagement and education programs. Sandy Segerstrom Daniels and Jane Fujishige Yada are co-chairing...

Charity Spotlight: Pacific Symphony Celebrates 40th Anniversary Season

Pacific Symphony delivered a memorable evening of epic elegance on Thursday, Sept. 27 as 350 guests were welcomed to the 2018-19 Classical Opening Night Celebration & Concert, a black-tie affair honoring 40 extraordinary seasons as Orange County’s premier orchestra. Hosted by...

Green

Going Green: Sustain our Sea with Sustainable Seafood Choices

By Garry Brown, Executive Director / Orange County Coastkeeper What is sustainable seafood, why is it important, where you can get it?  Food sourced from the sea has sustained seaside communities since man first learned to fish. It is an important part of coastal living and has...

Going Green: Underwater Oasis at Crystal Cove

By Garry Brown, Executive Director / Orange County Coastkeeper One of Newport Beach’s greatest treasures is Crystal Cove State Park. Stretching for 3.2 miles along PCH, Crystal Cove is known for its stunning cliffs and trails that are popular for hiking, biking, and camping. Its...

Local Focus

45th Lido Boat Show Sails Into Town April 19-22

Imagine sitting on the deck of your own yacht bobbing on the water of Newport Harbor, cruising to Catalina aboard a swift sailboat, or fishing along the coast in your own trawler. Now imagine going to the 45th annual Lido Boat Show and having an up close and personal encounter...

Local Focus: Organ Donor, Recipient Share New Ambition

By Cassandra Reinhart | Special to the NB Indy Bruce Cook feels alive again. “I feel totally different and my whole appetite is different,” Cook said. “Things that I loved before I don’t even want to eat now.” Cook, of Newport Beach, received a kidney transplant from Laguna Beach...

Local Focus: In Memory of Dr. Mike and His ‘Deep Thoughts’

By Jeff Glueck | Special to the NB Indy Many of you read my father’s column, “Deep Thoughts from Dr. Mike,” over the years in this newspaper. He loved Newport Beach, his home for 44 years, and loved sharing his thoughts, whether funny, sad, indignant, or irreverent. We lost my...

On Faith

On Faith: Bible Drive for the Prison Ministry

“Two words that break my heart regarding prison inmates are unwanted and unworthy,” said Lauri, head of the Prison Ministry at Redeemer Presbyterian Church. Lauri asked that her last name not be used. “God does not consider these people unwanted or unworthy. Through our ministry...

On Faith: Small Student Makes a Big Difference

Ten-year-old Newport Beach resident Keira Raack is proving that young children can make a big difference in the world. “One day as I was sewing, I came up with an idea of creating colorful pillowcases for kids in the hospital,” Keira explained.  “I thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be...

Senior Moments

At Home Care for Seniors

There are a lot of benefits that can come with having a non-medical professional helping out around the home and allowing seniors to remain independent. FirstLight HomeCare in Orange provides just that service to all Orange County senior citizens, including Newport Beach resident...
Posted On 19 Sep 2013

Single Again: Letters from Readers

By Quinn | NB Indy     This column seems to resonate with many of you. The best way to know is by your feedback and comments. Here are a few that have spoken to me: From Sharon: “I just read your article in the Independent and found it honest and refreshing. As a...