Quantcast

Benefit

Benefit: CASA Black & White Ball Honors Local Philanthropists

Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Orange County, held its annual Celebration of Children Black & White Ball on Saturday, April 27, at the...

Benefit: Table for Ten Chefs Serve $340K for Charity

One of the tastiest annual charity events in Orange County is Table for Ten, a culinary extravaganza featuring three dozen chefs creating multi-course, gourmet...

Charity

OC Community Foundation Awards $150K in Grants

The Newport Beach-based Orange County Community Foundation recently granted nearly $150,000 to 30 local nonprofit organizations dedicated to “the enrichment of arts and culture...

OC School of the Arts to Hold Season Premiere at Balboa...

Orange County School of the Arts returns to Balboa Bay Resort for its season premiere on Sept. 7. This year, the event will star recording...

Green

Attracting ‘Good Bugs’ to a Garden

By Gary Jones | Special to the NB Indy “Good” bugs can be a homeowner’s best friend, while “bad” bugs can wipe out weeks of gardening...

Going Green: Upper Newport Bay – Restoration, Recreation and Research

By Garry Brown, Executive Director / Orange County Coastkeeper Just above Newport Harbor is the Upper Newport Bay, a sanctuary to many species of plants,...

Local Focus

Abalone Enthusiasts Dine and Learn at Newport Dunes

With the sun-soaked days of summer rapidly coming to an end, about 150 people turned out last week to celebrate their favorite sea snail...

A Massage to Melt For: Pelican Hill Spa’s New Collection

In my 55 years as a journalist, I can honestly say this was the most difficult feature I’ve ever written. Based on this experience, I...

On Faith

Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Church Services in Newport Beach

CHRISTMAS EVE and CHRISTMAS DAY CHURCH SERVICES Christ Church by the Sea United Methodist (1400 W. Balboa Blvd). Dec. 24: 7:30 p.m. (949) 673-3805 /...

On Faith: A Priceless Luncheon

More than 300 men and women gathered at the Fashion Island Hotel recently for the sixth annual Priceless Luncheon, hosted by Vanguard University’s Global...

Senior Moments

Senior Moments: Frieda Caplan is ‘The Queen of Kiwi’

By Felicia Wiseman | NB Indy “Fear No Fruit” is a fascinating and true story of 91-year-old Frieda Caplan, also known as “The Queen of...

Bongiorno Boomers: Starting Anew

Good Morning, (Buon Giorno) Boomers! I trust you’ve recovered sufficiently from the Holidays for us to begin the New Year together. From my present vantage point,...

Senior Moments: Slow Moving Fitness for Seniors

This is one father who’s truly unhappy having put two kids through college. No, not my own children. My orthopedist’s. In a long life of body-risking...